SailNet Community - View Single Post - Increasing flotation
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Increasing flotation

I installed under each lazzerette, a tank. on the port side is a 50 gallon fuel tank, and on the sartboard is a 50 gallon water tank. I don't use them. I keep 'em there for buoyancy. They are there for long term back country trips only. I can slip out to the wilderness and protected water areas for a long time. The fuel tank was put for when i eventually put in an engine. Untill then it will remain empty. For ballance so will the water tank. I allready have a 65 gallon tank under the v-bearth, which is built in to the hull like a crash bulkhead. For general sailing and off shore they stay empty. I just assume they will keep the stern up in an emergancy. Maybe I'll pop up quicker or go down slower. I lost all that storage, but. I don't really have much crap on board. And all the carp I used to store there was just that, crap. It would turn into crap after a while anyway's from corrosion and not being used due to innacceasability. How many times did I clean those things out and find long lost items. Also don't store any thing that I do have above the water line on deck or inside the boat. I have bout 500 pounds of lead pigs I can use as moveable ballast in the bildge. All of my crap is stored low. I challenge every one to take every thing on board above the water line down to the tooth brush, and caculate it's collective weight. You may be surprised. A few courses in stability, like I took in My Tankerman, and then 200 ton capt. lisence, spawned my obbsession with keeping a low tansverse meta center.