SailNet Community - View Single Post - Twin Keel sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Granea is on a distinguished road
Re: Twin Keel sailboat?

I have been sailing a Westerly W 25 for several years.
She is as she came from the factory and I am loth to change anything.
Pointing? Well I am slower but I go upwind close hauled with in 2 or 3 degrees of the best. Bow on W 25 is a bit blunt so to keep speed I need to bear off a bit.
Certainly a bit slower but when the rest head in I am still happy.
Very stiff and hard to knock down. I have been out when the sane stay ashore.
The Westerly's or mine are slege hanner tough.
Hit a cement block at 7 k with starboard bilge keel. Beached her to check damage and nothing. Cement block.. knocked chunk out of that... but hope it does not happen again.
Rust? Never mind they are cast. Chip it out if you want and fill and smoth. Lay the epoxy on wax paper and lay it into place smoothing to shape.
You or I at least end up sneaking into places maybe one sould stay out of as they draw so little water and I ofen beach to explor with a stern anchor out and bow tied to tree or rock.
The W 25 has three keels. Center and two bilge. Rudder is protected by the center keel.
Resale? You get one of these and why sell it?
This one stays in the family and grand children are learning to sail on her.
Mine saled over to Nova Scotia from Ireland. Owners manual says she will ride out any storm. I hope I never need to find out but I expect she would do much better than 90% of what goes past me on race day. ( I do not bother with races but when any sail boat comes along face it you are racing? )
Not for everone but I love the old lady.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook