SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

First thing first get proficient in setting an anchor. Have one of your friends, old salts show you. Dont drop oit on top of itself in a pile. Make sure you set it with the engine in reverse. Tray and set 7:1 scope if you can at least. Remember the scope figure is to be the depth of the water plus the freeboard at the anchor roller. ( If anchoring in 10 ft of water and the distance from the roller to the water is 7 ft your figure should be 10+7=17 X 7 ( scope)= 119 ft of line + chain.)

I agree wholeheartly with Tim R about the need for one of the new gen anchors. No doubt in my experience the set well, first time in almost all bottom conditions. The second reason I have one is their restting ability. In an area with tides there is usually a point the anchor unsets as the boat changes angle 180 degrees ( current overcomes wind on my boat). The new gen anchors have tremendous reset abilities. We have a Rocna, but the Manson Supreme or Mantus also work well

Also if you anchor in reversing tides and dont have all chain, Employ a kellet. We have 60ft of chain which helps, but the kellet prevents the anchor line from wrapping aorund the keel, boat, rudder when the tide reverses,

Kellets or Anchor Angels / Sentinels: Uses and Applications

Also helps lower the cantennary angle in all but strong winds which helps your already set anchor from pulling

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook