SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
.....I need a technique that can withstand anything. ......
There is really no such thing that can withstand anything. There are only techniques and anchors that are superior to others. You've already received good advice on scope, chain, anchor type, etc above. Ask, if any of it doesn't make perfect sense.

Then there is the inevitable standing watch. Someone just has to check at reasonable intervals. Technology has made this a science from an art. Website, like SailFlow are pretty good a wind speed and direction for each hour overnight. Set your alarm and get up around to the time you will swing. There are also apps for iPhones, iPad, Droids, etc that will keep an eye on your gps location, while you sleep and alarm if you get outside the area you set as protected. Essentially, your smartphone stands watch for you. I don't know as I trust it 100%, but admit it makes sleeping much easier.

However, no one sleeps perfectly well on anchor on a windy night. If not for concern over dragging yourself, you worry that someone less diligent will drag into you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook