SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There is really no such thing that can withstand anything. There are only techniques and anchors that are superior to others. You've already received good advice on scope, chain, anchor type, etc above. Ask, if any of it doesn't make perfect sense.

Then there is the inevitable standing watch. Someone just has to check at reasonable intervals. Technology has made this a science from an art. Website, like SailFlow are pretty good a wind speed and direction for each hour overnight. Set your alarm and get up around to the time you will swing. There are also apps for iPhones, iPad, Droids, etc that will keep an eye on your gps location, while you sleep and alarm if you get outside the area you set as protected. Essentially, your smartphone stands watch for you. I don't know as I trust it 100%, but admit it makes sleeping much easier.

However, no one sleeps perfectly well on anchor on a windy night. If not for concern over dragging yourself, you worry that someone less diligent will drag into you.

In the PNW the wind shift in the summer is often due to a switch from onshore to offshore breezes. This will happen just after sunset. Sailflow is not a judge of this.

Just make sure that you set the anchor properly, 1500 rpm in reverse. Check transit and the rode to ensure that you are not moving and the rode is not vibrating.

I do not use anchor alarms. If I am unsure of my set I will sit an anchor watch. I have never dragged anchor in the PNW.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook