SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
In the PNW the wind shift in the summer is often due to a switch from onshore to offshore breezes. This will happen just after sunset. Sailflow is not a judge of this.
True, but if you can't predict to check something that happens the same time everyday, nothing else is going to help.

Quote:
I do not use anchor alarms. If I am unsure of my set I will sit an anchor watch....
I never use the alarm that is contained in the chartplotter. Way too much juice to let it run all night. These smart apps are very cool and typically run with their screens off, so they burn very little. The latest one I bought over the winter (not tested on the water yet), will also send me a text message if she drags. Therefore, I can be ashore and still get a notice that I have a problem (maybe).

In the end, I've never had an alarm go off over night, even though I've dragged a few feet. I set the alarm about 100 ft off the stern. I have, however, received a false alarm when ashore having lunch. My old alarm would email and I got one. I immediately walked down to the docks and looked out, but all was fine. Errant gps signals can be a problem. On this latest app, you can set the number of fixes outside the perimeter before you get an alarm. Default is 5, which should only take a few seconds.

Personally standing watch 24/7 just isn't practical all the time. I think we would all do it in severe enough conditions. However, most are just nerve wracking and you can't pin yourself down all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook