SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

NorthOceanBeach... Are you making sense of all the information you have received thus far? I have several quite good books that deal with anchoring (but not handy for immediate reference). I will try to dig them out if you need more information. However, in one way or another, you have already been given the most important information. Try and have as much chain as possible! Go out an anchor just for lunch, or during the day so that you can witness your boat's behavior during changing tides before going overnight. It will build your confidence and take a lot of mystery out of the whole thing.

One other thing: if you are working with crew (i.e. someone working the anchor, someone working the engine) agree on some simple hand signals to communicate with each other... It is more fun than trying to shout at each other over the noise of the engine or running back and forth. That applies to both arrival and departure procedures.

Make sure, since you are working with tides, that you calculate your scope (the length of rode - chain+line) using the maximum height of the tide. The advice then to use a 7/1 ratio (including freeboard) should then make you quite comfortable, possibly using only one anchor, since quite likely you may never move the direction of the chain near the anchor at all (depending on the strength of the current, of course).

As to setting a second anchor: if you feel you must do so, and you have no dinghy, I would buoy the first anchor so you can see where it is, set it properly. Then, motor forward to where you would like to set the second anchor and repeat the process. Haul up in reverse order (second anchor first, and the buoyed anchor last). Even with a dinghy it would be less involved to do it this way: carrying an anchor and chain out some distance from the boat is heavy work, and you certainly will not raise it that way, anyway.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook