SailNet Community - View Single Post - $6,600 to rebuild Atomic 4? replace/rebuild
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: $6,600 to rebuild Atomic 4? replace/rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonct View Post
Thanks Sloop,

I already had the crank ground down, and purchased the appropriate sized bearings to accommodate the new size. I bought a set of engine brushes, so I plan on going through the motor with them and ensuring all the gunk is clear and no remnants of glass are present. As for the rod honing, I'm not familiar with this procedure...the mechanic suggested that I hone a few pieces of the motor during the rebuild, but I haven't researched the specifics on this yet.

Thanks for the feedback, as for Porfin's posts, I have already gone through them several times and will definitely use his documentation as a guide in my rebuild...he did a great job outlining his rebuild!

-Chris
Resizing the rods involves having the cap mating surfaces ground down slightly to make the big end slightly "football" shaped, then they hone it to perfectly round again at the original factory diameter. To do the wrist pin end (small end) they ream the hole and press in bushings that also bring the hole to original factory specs.

We're talking thousandths of an inch here.

The reason for doing it is because the strains on those components are largely "linear" along the rod so the holes tend to get slightly elongated along the long axis of the rod - again, thousandths of an inch but that's what you're dealing with in an engine - precision really counts towards power and longevity. That's why they call it "blueprinting".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 10-28-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook