SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Wow, you guys are tough. If you have never experienced those conditions you can't believe how hard it is on your body and how mentally taxing it is. I don't think the delivery captain exhibited good judgement but I don't fault him for making the call to get rescued.

I was in a similar situation in conditions a little worse 8 years ago. Delivery from St. Thomas to the Chesapeake- all off shore in the first week of April. Brutal gale for 3 days. The boat was fine but we got pretty beat up even though we had a pilothouse on boat with a 10-1/2 foot keel. Trying making a sandwich in those conditions. Forget about sleeping. Taking a crap is strenuous exercise. I went air born more than once including crashing through the mid ship head door.

Doing it in an IP semi-trawler is quite another thing. I'd be scared that the boat would trip on the occasional rogue wave for starters. The motion must be rolly as all hell. Anything in the tank would get sucked into the filters without a doubt. We had 4 tanks, a tank mender, pumps etc so that we could switch fuel sources and filter systems on the fly.

Bottom line is that these guys made some wrong calls due to inexperience and/or fatigue. It might be a while before they would even consider another delivery job on a similar route.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook