SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

allio is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
No the delivery skipper gets called when the boat has just been bought, the yard finished up yesterday, against the current and prevailing wind, unsettled weather and a deadline.

So now this delivery skipper has to decide if his mortgage being late three months is more of a risk to his health that a particular delivery.
In one sense it is their job to push the boundaries, they should be able to pull it off as they are professionals but they are not going to win every time.
In this circumstance, the delivery captain had alternatives, The ICW, staying in port, heaving to. Eitherway, any business dependent on weather for delivery schedule, will have a clause in the purchase contract re weather disruption. If the the boat has not left the yard with enough time to spare for a safe delivery then the yard should be liable. In your scenario the yard also had options. But here I believe it was the owner who hired the delivery crew?

I completely disagree that commercial delivery services should be looking to "push the boundaries". Remembering that they are delivering someone elses property (and dreams!) should be front and foremost.

I doubt anyone here who has large sums of money invested in marine hardware is looking for a crew who pushes the boundaries.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook