SailNet Community - View Single Post - Johnstone Strait - going North in spring?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

ArgleBargle is on a distinguished road
Epilogue

thought i would post an epilogue to my original post.

well, it was a completely uneventful trip north at the end of march. Campbell river through seymour narrows at low water slack, slopped at Otter Cove on VI side a few miles north of seymour narrows to wait out the flood, then continued on to Helmcken Is where we anchored in a lovely cove with sea lions for the night.

next day finished the Johnstone Strait portion and anchored at Hanson Is. in Spout Bay.

we had relatively little wind at all for most of the trip. it was 20-25 kts from the NW at Fanny Is for only a couple of hours as we approached Helmcken Is, but despite having spring tides with a sizable west setting current opposing the wind, there was next to no chop. perhaps it didnt have long enough to build.

anyway, overall it was completely uneventful & quite pleasant. weather was great. we did not see a single other sailboat and only a few sport fishing boats plus the usual commercial traffic.

after seeing what's already been posted, i may come back with questions about the next legs down the outside of vancouver island.

thanks again for the input

cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook