SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Daily Alice is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat for Pacific Passage - yes or no?

Thanks,

Interesting, these various responses. Putting ideas out in a public forum like this, receiving collective wisdom --

In my opening post, I set out a proposed plan, two groups of boats, and a budget. I've tried to answer posters honestly -- my plan is just that, some years away, and I'm gaining in experience, as part of this process. The issue of my "dangerousness" seems separate from economic factors (which I prefer not to discuss in detail). I can work to develop my experience; the economic realities seem more fixed. A third factor concerns where I live -- it would be good to purchase an offshore-capable boat here--I continue to look.

Whether my goals will be met, I cannot say -- the responses I've gotten, positive and negative are focusing. My voyage aims involve cultural (community) and educational perspectives, along with ecological and other considerations -- I'm a professional educator and writer, have penned numerous books and publications. My auto-bio takes this thread far from it's original question, though not from its wellspring.

Nothing has to happen -- I'm looking into it. Have had some discussion with James Baldwin (atomvoyages.com). If I was 20-something or 30-something, I would go that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
Is it really necessary to travel so far to find the type of boat you want? It just seems like there will be quite a bit of expense preparing a boat to be worthy of the trip home, and once you get it home you may not need it to be that well equipped. Or is the trip home part of the appeal of the whole thing?
Just curious. Good luck no matter what you do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook