SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat perishes off Hatteras, USCG rescues crew

I have delivered many boats since the mid-70s. I always make sure that the owner or owners understand that different routes may be taken for valid reasons such as weather or shallow water and currents. This holds true for both sailboats and power vessels. It is the captains duty to use more than one means of predicting weather for different routes as well as the depth of the water,and navigation waypoints. The first question that is always asked is how long will it take, as I always have charged by the day. That is the time to make it perfectly clear that it depends on many factors, as well as possible breakdowns. I will give them they estimated time of arrival, in reality that is all anyone can do.

As far as judging whether or not to abandon ship the rule of thum usually is, (was human life in intimate danger? Were there any injuries to any of the crew or Capt., was the vessel in seaworthy condition such as maybe changing course to mitigate the circumstances. Am I able to anchor the vessel to also mitigate the circumstances? In history there have been many decisions Made under a panic or extreme pressure that may not turn out to be the correct decision. Only the captain and the crew can make that decision, whether to abandon ship or not. I myself cannot make any judgment because I wasn't there, and I definitely don't have all the information. CaptG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook