SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chasing my dream
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chasing my dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBradford View Post
For the past several months I've been redoing my captiva 240 that was given to me free of charge from my father as he upgraded to a Pearson 36. I've spent countless hours making the boat as live aboard friendly as possible. I know it's a small boat however the amount of time and effort placed into it has made me more and more eager to live aboard. I've been reading alot of live aboard post but haven't seen anyone with a boat as small as mine. I'll be living n south Carolina primarily at a marina except for day sails....any encouraging advice for life aboard would be great
My wife and I and our dawgs live aboard our 23 footer from mid may to the end of october. You've gotten some good advice so far.
Regarding biminis, looking at the design of your boat, you may be able to use an off-the-shelf setup like one of these:
Defender.com Search Results: bimini: Bimini Tops

As far as making the life more livable, I disagree with Don about installing shore power. I feel that on small boats shorepwoer is more of a hindrance than a help. It means having to devote already minimal storage to a shorepower cable, another ppower panel, and all the appliances you feel you can't live without, like a toaster, coffee maker, microwave, etc., etc., which makes a small interior feel more cramped. Instead, install a couple of 40-50 watt solar panels and install LED bulbs to reduce your electrical consumption, increase the insulation around your icebox to make it more efficient.

Go to a nearby furniture store, shoe store, electronics store and ask the stock clerks for any silica gel packs they have lying around- toss them in all of your lockers and toolboxes to fight condensation. Your clothes and tools will thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook