SailNet Community - View Single Post - shoal draft keel vs regular keel
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road
Re: shoal draft keel vs regular keel

My understanding is that one of first Clearwater 35s, Kodiak, completed a circumnavigation, which is also stated in the listing found at Boater's Resources: Boating, marinas, accessories, equipment, and supplies at discounts you’ll love!.

When I was checking out the Clearwater, prior to seeing the one I finally bought in Florida, I visited the factory and interviewed Barrett Holby about this boat. I had a question about the keel "falling up" in a capsize, as it is controlled by a block and tackle arrangement and held in position by gravity alone. The original design showed a hydraulic arrangement that would have held the keel in position, but it was apparently never used in the actual construction.

I have a pin that is inserted in the keel trunk to act as a stop, but when I expressed my concern, Barrett suggested if I ever found myself in a situation where there was a threat of capsizing, that I should completely retract the keel. His logic was disarming: "Did you ever see a log capsize?" Since the ballast is contained in the leading edge of the keel in in the bilge, all of the ballast is low when the keel is completely retracted.

Another aspect of a retracted keel is that you can't trip on it. Note from a photo posted earlier, that--like the Southerly--there is only a smooth whaleback shape when the keel is fully retracted.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook