View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: ssb m710 disney voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylockes View Post
Hi,

I acquired two secondhand icom m710s recently and 2 antenna tuners 130 and 130E to go with it. one for my old boat which I'm trying to sell and one for a new boat..

I've got a problem with one of the m710s. It appears to be an older model as there is no alarm button and the modes possible are usb/lsb/am/f2k etc

The newer one has an alarm buttom and modes j3e/h3e/lsb etc ( but no am or usb).

j3e = usb

I've set them up on land to test them. I tuned the antenna tuners , set the frequency to 12000 Khz and 12100 Khz to transmit and receive (and vice versa), the mode is usb on the old one and j3e on the new one and it all worked, but for one thing...

when the older model (on usb mode) receives my transmission from the newer model (j3e mode) it makes my voice sound like donald duck or as if I'm speaking after inhaling helium. Digitzed and electronic as it were, as if from an 1980's sci-fi movie. However, when the newer one receives transmission from the older one there is no problem whatsover. crystal clear.

I've played around with the grounding of both radios (grounding to anything metal) but to no avail. I can't find anything on the internet regarding this problem, hence my post.

Does anyone know what is causing the helium/digitized/disney reception and how to fix it?

btw on am mode, the older one has no problem producing a normal sound when picking up commercial stations.

many thanks for any advice and help.

thanks!

Bobby
On the lower right-hand corner of the face plate below the key-pad is a dial identified as "Clarity", adjusting this upward or downward adjusts the frequency slightly changing the pitch of sound one hears when receiving. In your case the Clarity dial needs be turned to the left somewhat to dial down the voice somewhat. Evidently you did not get the operator's manual, eh? That can be down-loaded from ICOM's site.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 04-02-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook