SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anti Fouling Paint Manufacturers Taking Aim At California Hull Cleaners
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: Anti Fouling Paint Manufacturers Taking Aim At California Hull Cleaners

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
So this is different than the Certified "Clean Marina" recommendations ? Couple years ago divers here (60 nm north of Shelter Island) had to take a certification class on "Clean Marina Practices". Stressed cleaning methods, practices and materials.
What are the manufacturers gonna recommend ? Once a month with baby diapers or once a year with scrapers ?
Of course the manager of my yard already says if I sailed more I wouldn't need to clean, but I've never seen a boat able to "self clean". It would be like that movie with the exploding bus, always moving at 5 kts. or above.
I assume you are Newport? I believe the course you are referring to was the California Professional Divers Association In-water Hull Cleaning Best Management Practices Certification Course, of which I was an instructor. And yes, this is different. This is the paint manufacturers telling the state agency responsible for regulating anti fouling paints that it's not their products that are the problem, it's the hull cleaners. The manufacturers would have you believe that their products do not need cleaning, which if you keep a boat in the water in California, you know to be patently untrue. So what they expect boaters to do is unknown. We believe that they may push for drastically reduced cleaning frequencies, or possibly a moratorium on hull cleaning for some specified period, like a year or two. We don't really know yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook