SailNet Community - View Single Post - Broken rib help for new sailor
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Broken rib help for new sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood71 View Post
Hello and thank you in advance for your help. I think maybe i should do a quick background about me since I'm new here before I get to the heart of the matter.

I'm 42 and just started sailing a Catalina 14.2 on our little Idaho mountain lake last summer and had a blast. So, I apologize if my sailing vocabulary is not so good. Over the winter a 1974 Columbia 23t found it's way into my life. The boat sat outside in a field for 5 years getting snowed on etc. The sails look good and the running gear looks good so I thought I'd replace the seats and companion way, give her a good cleaning and go sailing.

Now the problem, I noticed what I think would be called a rib that was cracked. The exterior of the hull where the crack is located still appears to be fine. I'm wondering if I could just do a fiberglass repair job on the inside where the crack is located? Or, does this boat need to be put out to pasture for good? I do really like the boat and would love to get her ready for the season.

I think I've attached a picture. If not I'll try again.
It should be a small job fixing this.
Can you determine what this rib is made of?
Would recommend to read the free book found here http://www.westsystem.com/ss/use-guides
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook