SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips on Watch Standing
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I had one crewmember that could not make watch on time. I asked the watchstander before her to wake her earlier until she made it. We got to 45 minutes before watch and she still was habitually 5 to 10 minutes late.

The two pots of coffee she spilled on the carpet didn't help my assessment of her.

I put her on a plane in the next port.
In college when I was up late all the time, and still needing the sleep of a teenager, I had a hard time making some of my early classes. My roommate and I created the perfect system. Actually we had 2 systems.

1: If he had to get up, I set my alarm, and I was not allowed to go back to sleep until he got up or vice versa. No snooze alarm here, just pure motivation to get the other AFOC out of bed ASAP!

2: (This one is my favorite) I would set an alarm and have the coffee pot ready to go and within reach of the bed. Alarm goes off, press "brew" on the coffee pot and press "snooze" and go back to sleep. 10 minutes later, when the snooze alarm wakes me up, drink 2 cups of coffee (remember it's within reach and I'm still in bed) and press snooze again and go back to sleep. 10 minutes later AWAKEN with caffeinated zeal!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook