SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ready To Go Back In?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

I worked my fingers to the bone over the weekend but I am ready! I put on the last three barrier coats Friday morning, Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning. I worked on the boot stripe between barrier coats Friday and my wife and I waxed the hull between coats Saturday. The first coat of Ultima 60 bottom paint went on Saturday afternoon and the second coat Sunday morning. I took Sunday afternoon off for Easter (and the rain) but went back tonight to put the finishing touches on the boot stripe. Between the time the boat was soda blasted in mid-February and now itís been an absolutely grueling several weekends of work (of the variety I donít particularly enjoy) but the bottom looks awesome. The plan is to splash one night this week or Saturday morning, depending on weather. I canít wait!

Once sheís back in, I have a few more winter projects to finish up. The cockpit and interior tables are at home to be refinished. I put a new thru-hull in for a larger bilge pump hose while hauled out but never got around to connecting the new hose. I also tore the dry rotted vinyl liners out of most of the interior cabinets and started replacing them with reflectix. Just need to finish those projects up in the next couple of weeks.

As a side note, in some discussions of the Ultima 60 it was mentioned that it might be thicker than the average bottom paint and therefore harder to apply. I didnít find it any thicker or harder to apply than any other bottom paint Iíve used in the past. If anything, it was easier to apply than the paint I used last time around. Maybe the formula has been improved? So far the only negative of the Ultima is that the blue is a dark navy/teal while most of the other blue bottom paints Iíve seen/used are more similar to the Sunbrella ďPacific BlueĒ shade.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook