SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke vs Yanmar
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Nothing wrong with the current crop of Westerbeke engines, ours has over 3k hours is smooth, quiet and purrs like the day she was new. She burns no oil. We have had zero "engine" issues. I did have a solenoid go but those are not Mitsubishi parts. I did replace the motor mounts and have done all the services, valve adjustments etc.. They are based on marinized Mitsubishi industrial engines. Yanmar is also good as is Beta.

Any of the Japanese based engines are good when it comes to the blocks. Even Volvo's are Japanese blocks these days. The base engines are made by Shibaura and then sold to Perkins who then sells them to Volvo......

If I was to replace my Westerbeke I'd have no qualms going Westy again, though I'd look real hard at Beta. I like Yannies too...

As for prices of parts Yanmar and Westebeke are neck & neck. Volvo is more costly and the parts not always available. Westerbeke does a very good job of keeping parts in-stock even for some of the older engines. Beta wins in parts pricing and they have no issue telling you exactly what Kubota block your engine is so you can go to a tractor supply store and save 50-80% over "marine".... Even the marinized parts on a Beta are relatively reasonably priced..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook