SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anti Fouling Paint Manufacturers Taking Aim At California Hull Cleaners
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: Anti Fouling Paint Manufacturers Taking Aim At California Hull Cleaners

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Kind of why I like the soft ablative paints, they at least only need 2-3 knots of boat speed, vs the harder ablatives needing a bit more! WItha 6ksb, that 5 knot speed is hard to get for a long enough time to do the trick.
In California, there isn't a paint made, ablative, hard or otherwise, that is "self-cleaning" when used on a sailboat. Just doesn't happen. Certainly boats that are used more tend to accumulate less growth, but the fouling progression is simply too rapid here for any paint to not need regular cleaning, and I don't care how fast the sailboat goes. That means 4-6 times/year in Northern California, 12-15 times/year in Southern California.

The irony is that by imposing mandatory limitations on hull cleaning frequencies, the state would actually moving away from copper reductions. The less frequently the hull is cleaned, the fouler it becomes. The fouler the hull becomes, the more aggressive the cleaning tools and techniques that are required to remove it. Which of course puts more copper into the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook