SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chasing my dream
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

Loriprov is on a distinguished road
Re: Chasing my dream

We had a 24 foot Newport Neptune for 10 years before moving up to a 34' Irwin sloop. Longest living aboard - 2 weeks. Suggestions: use a two burner coleman stove - if you have alchohol, ditch it. You can take the bottle of propane and unscrew it outside of the cabin - I always did to make sure no gas (which sinks) escaped in the cabin. Then store bottle and stove in separate lazarettes. We took the space of the alchohol stove and the void below and made a wood counter top to put the Coleman on, and a work surface, and used the interior space for pots and pans. Only had an icebox so we also used a small cooler for beverages so we didn't have to open the icebox all the time. Block in the cooler; best thing the new boat has is a cold plate, but it draws power, and we are still minimalists. You can get by without a sink (sort of) if you have a plastic tub, and can fill it with water either from a foot pump, or from a tea kettle of hot water, with foot pump cold added.

Let us know how you fare - I have known several livaboard couples on 26 footers - one year round and two couples for 5 months at a time - and we met a couple and their 12 year old living on a 23 foot Aquarius two years ago.

Lori Prov
Irwin Citation 34
"Salish Mists"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook