SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel tank longevity
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Fuel tank longevity

A properly installed & maintained aluminum tank can easily last 40+ years. The sad reality is that the vast majority are improperly installed and maintained.

* Tanks need to be 100% isolated from where they sit. I use 1/4" to 1/2" G-10 bedded/sealed to the tank bottom with Sikaflex 291. This prevents the tank from sitting in any moisture and creates an air layer around the tank to keep it dry.

*Water must be kept out of the tank. Change the fill cap o-rings regularly.

*Tank must be periodically cleaned.

*No dissimilar metals can fall into the tank. I have seen fill cap chains rot out a tank. I remove my fill cap chains before they become an issue.

*Any production shavings, filings, slag etc. should be vacuumed out of the tank before installation.

*No copper alloys should be used with an aluminum tank. All tank fittings should be aluminum including the pick up, return, shut off valves & barbs. If you must use a copper alloy it needs to be isolated from the tank.

*Avoid going with the bare minimum wall thickness (most factory tanks are a .090 wall). I would suggest .125 as a bare minimum.

*When building a new tank I would always advise installing at least one extra pick up/supply fitting. This way you can add a dedicated fuel polishing system. If you are in the North add a third for a future heater. Easpar, Webasto etc. DO NOT like to be connected via a "T" fitting.

I am currently replacing a 31 year old tank on a Sabre. The tank is 100% fine but the owner wanted to remove it and fully inspect it as he does some off shore racing and did not want a "failure".. For the $500.00 he decided to just replace it, while it was out. He added two more pick up tappings and we upped the tank wall thickness.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook