SailNet Community - View Single Post - Headed North...
Thread: Headed North...
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Headed North...

Welcome home, Gary - well done...

One thing I'd suggest, is please don't rule out doing it again next year, or at sometime in the future... I think if you could enlist others to accompany you along the way as crew, you'd find it would make that trip FAR less of an ordeal than it can be doing it singlehanded. You no doubt appreciated that, having done some of it with Melissa aboard, that sounded like it turned that leg into a genuine pleasure, instead of the sort of forced march that motoring down the waterway day after day can easily become...

I generally prefer to go it alone, but usually being in a hurry and on a schedule, that's the exception... Plus, I've been doing it that way for so long, I'm simply accustomed to it... But, don't let the toughness of your return trip deter you in the future, the weather over the past 6 weeks or so along the ICW has been highly unusual, one of the worst months of March in recent memory... Push back your return date another month or more, it would likely be a whole different ballgaime... Once the prevailing onshore/southerly quadrant winds start to settle in, coupled with the much longer days in the spring, the trip back north is generally quite pleasurable, and usually easier to complete within a given time frame, than it is in the fall...

In addition, if you can manage to spare the time and dial the pace back a bit more, getting off the Ditch and exploring a bit can make a HUGE difference... Going out to a spot like Cape Lookout Bight, and relaxing/hanging on the hook for a couple of days, can do wonders in terms of 're-charging your batteries'... The North Carolina sounds afford some wonderful opportunities to explore, getting off the ICW route and to a spot like Ocracoke can really enhance the trip, and transform it from being just a delivery, into a real cruise...

Anyway, just food for thought... Enjoy your summer on the bay, but please take the time to mull over the possibility of trying it again in a more relaxed fashion, and speak to friends or folks you might meet about the possibility about coming along for the ride...

And, of course, I'm sure you'd find no shortage of willing volunteers right here on Sailnet, willing to be recruited...

In either case, glad to hear you plan to return to the Keys next winter, it's a wonderful place...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-02-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook