SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making a living as a liveaboard
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

estopa is on a distinguished road
Re: Making a living as a liveaboard

I am in IT as well and currently work remotely as a "telecommuter". I do not liveaboard but enjoy summers daysailing with my blackberry connected to work. Our industry certainly has gone through transformation. I don't see "office" space in our future. The future demands our nature of work to be a lot more transient. I see a future of wintering in the islands or down south as long as a broadband internet connection is present.

Also, there are many other passive investments out there. One I am slowly building up is investing in Multifamily apartments. This provides a steady cash flow. Only drawback is that you will have to hand over the reins to a property manager. In essence you will have to manage the manager. Although I think this would be a great source of income for people to travel the world. Of course it will take time and money to foster this.

I've read folks basically renting out their current residences as well. If there is positive cash flow this could be another avenue for liveaboards.
1986 Oday 222 #686
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook