SailNet Community - View Single Post - ssb m710 disney voice
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: ssb m710 disney voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylockes View Post
clARIFY dial was the issue. many thanks!!

any ideas how I can practice my ssb skills (or lack of them). I cant seen to find a channel that has any sailor chit chat.

I installed it as proof of concept on my boat today and did something ad could send but nothing was understandable.
Before you start booming out on the air waves, you will need a ship station license and a radio operators license. Both of these can be obtained on line without too much difficulty although as usual, government web sites leave a bit to be desired in the usability department so you will have to be patient. Start by going to the FCC Web site and drill down from there. (In your ship station license applicatiuon, list all of the transmitting equipment that you have aboard or are likely to have aboard--VHF, SSB, EPIRB, Radar, AIS Transponder et al, so you are covered as an when you obtain the various gear).

Once properly licensed, you can confirm the function of your radio by contacting WLO on one of its frequencies depending upon time of day, range and propagation. (Note that transmitting and receiving in a marina can sometimes be difficult because of all of the inference.)

Based upon your prior posts, it would be wise for you to pick up a copy of "SSB for Idi-Yots" which takes some of the mystery out of high frequency radio operation--which is decidedly different than VHF. Once you've established that you are transmitting and connecting well via WLO, you can participate in one or more of the SSB Nets save the Southbound Net for which one (now) must pre-register and be underway at sea or "Herb" will ignore you unless you're in an emergency situation. In any/every case, transmissions should be short, clear and too the point as air-time is a "Party Line" that only one talker can use at a time tho' all may hear. For more on the subject, a list of nets and the like, google Dockside Radio"

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook