SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ospreys
Thread: Ospreys
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Re: Ospreys

Yes, we also enjoy watching the air acrobatics these birds do from hovering, diving and scooping up a fish. We have even enjoyed watching an air battle of an eagle and an osprey fighting over the fish the osprey had just caught. The eagle left with the spoils and the osprey was left to fish again.

The nesting however is best left to trees, poles, navigational aids or platforms. When they pick my dodger, bimini, deck or solar panel, I protest. It is amazing the amount of lumber a pair of motivated ospreys can carry over a five day period. In fact when you return, it looks like a bonfire has been built on you vessel...no flames, of course but the pile of sticks...and I mean LARGE sticks will impress any gardener.

As one posted here, they drop fish parts. Since they eat fish, what they defecate also smells of rotted fish. Sadly, they do not try to poop off one's vessel, in fact they poop everywhere!

I love having our little boat on a mooring. It is a lovely, wooded cove that offers lots of wildlife and a quiet place to just hang out if you are looking for a tranquil afternoon. But when the ospreys are circling and looking for a place to start construction, I am nervous.

Happy Spring!

Leslie

s/v Tango
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook