SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Jeanneau 3600 - JPK 1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward3 View Post
Have been watching these forums for a couple of years and finally joined.
Really like the reviews and comments by PCP and the rest of members.
One boat in particular has now received the documentation i've been waiting for:
Jeanneau Sun Fast 3600
See here: ac-voile (need to add www and com since new members can't add links or pics)
Some new pictures including layout of cockpit layout, inventory list, VPP, IRC cert, options... comments please.
Thnks again.
Edward, welcome to this thread and to Sailnet. It is amazing the number of new members that make their first post on this thread. You guys make me proud

I will post the pictures and links for you:

http://www.ac-voile.com/modules/cata...AST%203600.pdf

I have a relation of love and hate with that project:

I love the hull design, I love the power given by that hull and the high B/D ratio, I love the rigging they show on the mock set up, I love everything that regards sailing. It is going to be a hell of a boat specially in what regards solo or short crew racing. I am not sure if the boat will rate well on handicap racing, particularly in light winds but it is going to be not only a very fast sail boat as well as a relatively easy boat to sail fast.

I hate that they had not taken the opportunity to make this sailboat not only a great racer but also a great performance cruiser and in what regards that they screw it big time. I have already said about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That interior is screaming for a small central removable central navigation place (on the top of the main table) and that would permit a big galley on the two sides of the boat, without any seat. that would make the main table smaller but who cares, it will be more than enough for two and most of the time people eats outside and that table is not a good one anyway, with a mast on the middle. A good galley, or at least an acceptable one is indispensable in any cruising boat.

I guess you and me are not the only ones pissed with that. Maybe they will, on account of sailors pressure, end up making two versions: a pure race version with a skeleton interior and one with a better interior for cruiser racers.
Besides that I would say that I will say that the boat has a problem with outside storage space in what regards cruising and a stupid one because the boat seems to have a considerable space on the transom and a big forward locker (sail locker) next to the anchor locker (my boat has that set up too and it is a practical one).

It is stupid because the access to either locker is ridiculously small, just a standard hatch. That can be acceptable on a racing boat (even if also for racing the opening for the sail locker would be much more practical if bigger) but on a performance cruiser just don't makes no sense.

Two "details" (the galley and the storage) that in my opinion limits the cruising potential of the boat and given their sailing potential, that makes me mad

The A35, a boat that probably will be the main competition has a better cruising interior, specially in what regards the galley:

It has also more storage space even if it shares the same problem in what regards to access it from the cockpit. They are projecting a new one, it deserves to be looked at, if you are on a market for a fast cruiser racer. Maybe they continue to offer a decent galley and a good storage space.

The J111 is will be probably a better boat for crew racing and a worse boat for solo racing, but even that one has a better cruising interior and a better galley. The J111 permits also the access to one of the cabins from the outside (that cabin can be transformed in a big locker).

I would say that if you want the boat for cruising and for racing (and Jeanneau will persist into making only a racing interior) wait for the new JPK 1080. That one will have a racing and a cruising interior in a boat that should present very similar sailing characteristics, including fast solo sailing:

The JPK will be probably slightly more expensive but Jean Pierre Kelber will make it to fit you, your sailing style and the use you are going to the boat. This one contrary to the Jeanneau can be customized to a certain extent.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook