SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

harmonysimone is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Everyone has already covered most things I would suggest, but I'll chime in to reiterate a few things:

- Chain is pretty key in this scenario - you can supplement the chain with a lead weight, or put the two Danforth's in sequence on the rode. We've never tried this, but we've read about it.

- That being said, the only time we ever drug anchor in the PNW was when we used our Danforth. It's not so good at resetting. After that instance we started using our slightly over-sized Bruce and haven't dragged since (it resets quickly and easily in most conditions). We LOVE our Bruce anchor...it's held us in some pretty crazy winds. You should totally buy the Bruce that's being offered for $20 (what a steal!)

- Letting out a lot of scope is also a good idea, if you have enough space. Be conscious of your swinging radius if you have neighbors. If you don't have neighbors, just let it all hang out! Not really...but you can be generous with your scope.

- When you arrive at an anchorage hail your new neighbors on the radio to get their opinion. Let them know that you're new at this and that you would benefit from some friendly advice - most people are awesome about helping newcomers...though it also means they might not sleep soundly knowing they're anchored next to a newbie .

- Set your anchor so that you're facing the same way as everyone else in the anchorage and back down on it (with your motor in reverse until it is set - ie, you're not moving backwards anymore).

- I highly recommend picking up the Daschew's book Practical Seamenship - they have a great section on anchoring strategies.

- One of the biggest challenges we've had with changing wind, tides and current is that even though we stay put through it all, we somehow get wrapped around our rode (or rather, it get's wrapped around us). This happened in San Francisco when we were anchored off of Angel Island and in La Paz (both times we were moving around quite a lot). If that happens there are two strategies we've used: 1) let your rode out quite a bit more and then maneuver your boat to get "unstuck" - sometimes easier said then done (you just have to try it out) or 2) tie your rode to a life-ring and come back for it (this one kind of freaks me out, I have nightmares about losing our beloved Bruce). I'm sure there are other strategies.

Good luck to you! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook