SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring with changing tides and wind
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Anchoring with changing tides and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonysimone View Post
- One of the biggest challenges we've had with changing wind, tides and current is that even though we stay put through it all, we somehow get wrapped around our rode (or rather, it get's wrapped around us). This happened in San Francisco when we were anchored off of Angel Island and in La Paz (both times we were moving around quite a lot). If that happens there are two strategies we've used: 1) let your rode out quite a bit more and then maneuver your boat to get "unstuck" - sometimes easier said then done (you just have to try it out) or 2) tie your rode to a life-ring and come back for it (this one kind of freaks me out, I have nightmares about losing our beloved Bruce). I'm sure there are other strategies.

Good luck to you! Have fun!

Use a kellet as I have described above. Since we used one we have not had to experience anchor rode wrap around the boat, keel or prop again.

If you don't the rode may decide to saw through the soft lead keel when you wrap. I have seen it leave quite an indention in a Tartan 34 once when it wrapped the beavertail part of the keel and gashed it pretty well.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook