Originally Posted by FinallySailing
Does anybody here actually have a CO detector on board ?
Yes YES YES!
I have a Kiddie one from Home Depot. They're cheap. What's the downside to having one? No need to spend the money for a "marine grade" one. CO can come from your engine, your stove, your lantern or, the guy in the slip next to you with a genset that is malfunctioning. Our surveyor told us about a couple who died because the boat in the slip next to them was emitting CO2 from a bad Webasto heater.
Pro-tip: HEADACHE is one of the first signs of CO poisoning. Next is intoxication, at which point you may not be smart enough anymore to save yourself. If you suspect CO poisoning, ask yourself if you have a headache. If you do, get to fresh air and STAY THERE for a long time (it takes quite a while for the CO to get out of your blood).
Personally I like the ones that have a display. I've been able to see that my kerosene lantern (or some other source) was emitting a small, but not yet dangerous level of CO before getting the big BEEP BEEP.
Here is a good one: