SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane leak into the bilge. What to do?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Propane leak into the bilge. What to do?

Ideally, I like to think of disasters and make plans for how to cope with them, before they happen. Sadly, this is not always the case, but when it has been, is sure is nice to have a plan (or plans) of action to try. That said, there is no propane leak on my boat right now. But what if there was?

We all know propane + enclosed boat hull = bad. We can buy sniffers to alert us to the presence of propane, but what if we did blow a seal and we leaked a bunch of the explosive stuff into the bilge. How do we get it out?

I've heard that a manual diaphragm bilge pump can be used, but I'm a bit skeptical. What about an electric (ignition protected of course) bilge pump? I may have to pick up a colored smoke bomb this 4th of July and see if I can figure out how to get rid of all the colored smoke to test any theories we come up with.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook