SailNet Community - View Single Post - Propane leak into the bilge. What to do?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Propane leak into the bilge. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
If you have a gasoline engine, like an atomic 4, they must have an ignition protected bilge blower installed. It pulls air out of the boat into the atmosphere and should clear out an enclosed boat in 5 minutes.
Hmmm.... I have a blower for my diesel engine. I completely forgot I had one, because I never use it. It's bloody noisy and designed to feed cool air to the engine compartment. I wonder if I could rig up a switch to reverse the + and - and it would suck air (or propane) out of the bilge... Hmmm.... Thanks for the reminder that I have one of those things!

As for opening up all the hatches and sitting on the beach, not such a great plan if you're not near a beach. Even underway near land it would be nerve racking to be in a boat full of propane.... I hear it's 8 times heavier than air, so it seems like opening the hatches might not be enough.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook