Re: O'Day 22 Coastal Cruise?
Our personal limit - 20 knots and 3 foot waves. If you get caught in worse you will need a plan B which could be heaving to or running for an inlet depending on the situation. Motoring in a heavy boat with a diesel engine is a nice plan B which you don't have.
We have a Catalina 22 Swing Keel. Our home port where we do most of our sailing is on the Hudson River. Also Long island sound.
If you are like me constantly check the weather, wind and tides and use planning and boat handling to minimize the risks I think you will be okay. But cruising by definition includes extended time period where you are bound to encounter rough condition. With a 22 footer, you don't have that much speed or power and you need to always have a plan B. For example last summer we were sailing with a nice 15 knot wind out of the north about 4 miles from the inlet where we dock. A small thunderstom developed to our East and spun the wind up to near 30 knots from the north for about an hour. We had to wait it out. The boat handled the 4' waves but we basically had to heave to or more accurately fore reach for an hour. I knew the tides. knew the charts, knew where we were safe. We were fine and no water entered the boat. However I wouldn't try the inlet in those conditions and I put the hatch boards in and latched the lockers down as a precaution. At the same time the boat is pretty much able to handle more than we are. I feel safe on board. You just need to accept the limitations and stay in sheltered waters on certain days. You will have to study your weather windows and err on the side of caution, watch the tides, etc. But if you do that I think you will be fine.
The Cat only has a 5 hp outboard which can cavitate pretty bad when it gets rough.. Previously with the 32' Hunter with a diesel inboard I think we had 13 HP. That boat if it got rough, you dropped the sails and motored back in and that was a lot more reassuring, especially for my wife. She would go below. But its pretty hard to tow 13,000 lbs anywhere and the boat was too slow for us to bring it anywhere with our work schedules.
Last edited by Sal Paradise; 04-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.