SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeke vs Yanmar
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Westerbeke vs Yanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriprov View Post
We have a Yanmar raw water cooled in our '83 Irwin 34 - original 3GM and I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a freshwater cooled someday). Trouble is, as we maintain it religiously, we have been told that as long as we never use synthetic oil, we might be able to will it to our kids! Our very good friends have a Westerbeke in their Pierson 40 that has created many days of trial and tribulation - transmission, lines, etc. My friends' wife and I now call it "Mr. Westerbeke" to forstall cursing it.

If we ever decide to change boats, I will be hard-pressed to love another boat if it doesn't have a Yanmar in the engine compartment.

I look forward to hearing how you decide to play King Solomon and decide between your desire for the Yanmar and your desire for that heart to heart boat yard relationship!
Yeah,
The La Ceiba Boat yard is the only place like it with in Hunderds of Miles. I want A transient slip at a long term price, so I can come and go at will with either my sailboat or my 40 foot dive boat. I am going to look around La Cieba for a New Yanmar and Hire the Yard to install it. Maybe that is a good balance. If I have to import the Yanmar from The states, I have to weigh the cost of shipping more that 200 pounds to central America vs The 12hp 2 cyl. Westerbeke. I really want to know if they have improved the design. I'm thinking that the older westerbekes are problematic and the brand new little marine deisel is worth it's weight. Having the dealer the warranty and the ceritfied machanic that installed right there in the Marina is a plus, but having a Yanmar that does'nt need to be fixed is probably better. I travel back and forth between Miami monthly, so I can bring myself parts from the dealer here. It would be so simple if I new for sure that the new little westy is a great little engine that will run forever. I also wonder if it bounces around like mexican jumping bean at idle.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-03-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook