SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

is no more elitist than is car racing...lok at nascar--has everyone and his uncle runnng rum now is sanctioned...lots of dough.
formula one racing..lotsa dough.\
runnng amateur car racing--lotsa dough and npsponsorships..ouch.
prosailing--lotsa dough and sponsors.
you n me sailing--as much dough as it wants and then some, and no sponsors.
but comparison studies are like match9ng oranges and bananas....it dont work. is a diffrent sport.
how many of us can afford the bs stuff of raing--meant to be dismantled each time out.....not me..lol
and from where did our sailing adventures come--from moneyed souls who had the dough to own shipping companies and sail for money delivering goods and services to others...and war.
the original americas cup was one schooner against another--and guess who won. was not a special boat made just for the adventure--was a legitimate race involving working schooners. we have come way long way, baby from that...now is pure bs and more money wins. also more bluster and corruption than was originally. i have lost all interest in ac racing since i watched dennis connor scam and cheat his way into ignominy.
buying position from under the faster sailing teams is not anything but corruption---yes i heard from the tacticians of 3 teams in a jacuzzi in sd in 1995 all about the corruption in ac racing. i also got to watch the 3 downwind errors perpetrated by dc so he could lose the 1983 race...rounding up 3 times in one downwind leg is not a sailor. he was pozed to be racing, not screwing around waiting for the opposition to pass.
sorry i donot appreciate lies and cheating. i no longer have any interest in the money pit called ac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook