SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 27 Keel stub and bolts
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

Seascape is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27 Keel stub and bolts

Hello everyone. While in the boat yard, I'm looking to perform the keel stub fix for my 1974 C27 and remove the plywood from the keel stub, rebuild with glass, then sister/window in some new 316 SS keel bolts (not lag screws) as prescribed by Catalina. I have found numerous other threads dealing with this issue, but my question specifically refers to where to attach the new fiberglass in the stub. After you remove the top layer of fiberglass in the bilge and remove the plywood filler in the stub then several layers of new glass must be placed. In order to provide a secure hold for the new keel bolts does the glass need to be run up onto the sides of the bilge or maybe beyond? My concern is that if you only fill in the stub with glass there would not seem to be enough strength to hold the new keel bolts. The diagram Catalina provided and mentioned in other threads doesn't really detail how far up into the bilge sides the glass should be run from the stub floor in order to provide a secure hold for the keel bolts. Any ideas from those that have performed this repair? I also plan to glass in some G-10 in the bilge as a backing plate for the keel bolts.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook