SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips on Watch Standing
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Tips on Watch Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
(But then, I'm the one who tried to hail the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant on VHF once, because no matter which way I altered course, this big, confusingly-lit vessel was right on my bow...)
Which reminded me of this famous story: snopes.com: Lighthouse and Aircraft Carrier . Although it isn't true it is a GREAT story. There is a version on YouTube with a German shore station that always makes me roll with laughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allio View Post
Does anybody in sailing use a panic button/alarm for crew/skipper waking. A simple button in the cockpit to call for emergency assistance?
No one has ever slept through my call (three times I think over 35 years sailing) for all hands on deck. Sleeping in the aft cabin I was awakened by a shackle pin hitting the cabin top and deck and made it on deck in time to lash down the outhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Had similar experience on coastal cruise with multiple overnight hops. Took person aside and asked "whatsup?". Found out had bad knee and would take motrin then go back to sleep for 1/2h until NSAID hit. Took him off rotation and made him the cook. Everyone happy and cooking/cleaning off my list. Sometimes it pays to ask before thinking some one's a jerk.
Skipper should have an honest discussion with every member of crew about physical and other medical issues. The skipper should be equally forthcoming. Everyone that has sailed with me knows I have back trouble for example and what my limits are (which recede with adrenalin (*grin*)).
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook