SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

I have to disagree with the outboard option. It may not be the least expensive and certainly is not the best operational option. Remember, you have the motor mount, the control lines and the fuel lines and tank. If you settle for hand cranked, then you are going to be hanging over the stern trying to get a %%^^&* outboard started. But most importantly the time you will most depend on the engine is in foul weather and an outboard mounted on the stern of a sailboat is not a good situation as the propeller comes out of the water when bouncing over chop. And then the engine dies, and how do you restart it? By hanging over the stern in heavy chop. Do you single hand? If so this is a non-starter.
Take the above advice and determine what it takes to fix the inboard and make it dependable for the next ten years.
And don't assume you are not meant to sail. That's crazy talk. Go read Smackdaddy's ode to sailing on his BFS site and steele your nerves for the engine overhaul.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook