SailNet Community - View Single Post - Norway as a sailing country
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Norway as a sailing country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Broersma View Post
Thank you very much for your response! Your blog is great! I love the pictures, you live in a beautiful country!
It's not my blog - it's another sailing forum.

Quote:
It is a more sailing friendly country then they made me believe!
Who?

What have you been told?

We see some Dutch flagged boats here every year, not many of those are heavy duty boats.

We had some bad press a time ago because someone left the boat in Norway over the winter and received a WAT bill. But the rules are changed as a result of this so it shouldn't be a problem now.

But I must admit..
I once spent a night in a natural harbor with a Dutch motor yacht anchored close. It was a light nice summer night.
And the needed to start the generator to watch TV all evening pestering the surrounding boats with noise & exhaust....
If TV was that important they could have stayed in a harbor with shore power...

Quote:
I looked into insurance and some companies will not insure you when you sail a semi-extreme condition proof yacht like a bavaria up there. Yachts with aluminum build hull's would be a different story.. I guess it has cost them a lot in the past.. Unlucky for us...
You need to define semi-extreme conditions..

Norway is a long country with a long coastline and there is large span in weather conditions over the year (Summer is very different from winter)
Winter can be harsh especially in West and North
On the South(East) the winter is more benign but ice can be a problem at some times/places.

We have plenty of insurance companies insuring boats in Norway.
Pantaenius in Denmark offer insurance coverage for normal boats in Norway Come what may!

Quote:
I understand from your reply those heavy duty sailing yachts are not very popular in Norway? Somebody even told me that when you sail a classical sailing yacht with aluminum hull in Norwegians would look at it as if it is a fishing boat For a dutch person this comment is hilarious!
You will find all kinds of boats here, but not many heavy duty boats.

We don't have the same tradition as you building boats in steel and aluminium

But I don't think we are particularly snobbish with regards to boats.

Quote:
I am very curious to know how you think about this Perhaps a little discussion in private messaging?
Don't think you are allowed to do PM's here before making enough posts and time on the forum.

Quote:
Unless any of you other's like to join in of course! My opinion is that there is no sailing yacht as beautiful as an Aluminum build, classic sailing yacht like one from the architect Koopmans (senior). Yes I am a proud Dutch man sorry
Don't know his designs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook