SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

So sorry to hear this jimgo (& chuckles).
Chuck makes a convincing case that a crab pot line could have been the catalyst that caused most of your problems. If everything "suddenly" went to he11 then something caused it to occur. Your engine may have been just barely functional before the event but the damages went up your drive train, like a line of dominoes falling. Excessive force on the prop shaft from the wrong direction could do this.

Things may seem bleak now but do not throw in the towel just yet. Think of the positive things: Chuck & Mary have saved you storage fees for $$$45 days (great folks those two!), and now you know the weaknesses in your boat that need to be addressed. If you are new to the wrenching game the thought of doing these repairs yourself may seem daunting or insurmountable, but they are not. You can fix most of this yourself with some thought and consideration. You will also learn a he!! of a lot in the process.

I'd be looking for a relatively cheap diy yard I could haul the boat out in, then plan a few weekends you could go down and start repairing it.
- disconnect prop shaft coupling from output flange
- remove motor from mounts
- repair mounts
- bring shaft to prop shop, you might need a new shaft & coupling
- mechanic for damper plate or diy
- check Cutless bearing, shaft log hose and packing gland (all parts you needed to get familiar with anyway)
- reassemble and check shaft alignment

Still, it sucks that this happened when it did.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook