SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Saare 41 AC and Swedestar 415

On another thread Rockdawg asked me to choice between a Moody 41AC and a Bavaria vision 42. I told him that they were two good sailboats but very different and that a comparison would not make much sense since they value different priorities, the Moody is more expensive and besides that my preference are not probably the same as his. My needs and tastes will probably be different and the ideal boat for me will be probably different than his ideal boat.

Talking about ideal boats, the truth is that personally none of those boats would fit my personal bill, even if I had the money to buy any of them I would no exchange them by my boat. Not even on a future perspective assuming that I am not going younger and probably it will make sense in the future a more conservative boat (well, when I am 80 year's old or something like that).

Regarding a more conservative perspective and thinking about future I could imagine me on a Xc 42 or even a Xc38. Of course they are so expensive that even if I had a lot more money I would question if that would be a wise choice. But if I need not to consider costs, there are some lucky guys in that situation, definitively they would be boats I would consider.

On a more modest perspective, I mean if I had the money to buy a Moody 41 I would certainly consider a Saare 41 AC as a cheap alternative to the Xc42. The boat has a modern hull but also classic lines, the kind that will not grow old and I like that and not only that on the Saare.

The difference in price for the Moody is not that much since on the Moody you have many extras that come already on the Saare. The differences between the Saare and the Moody have to do with more power on the Saare (even if it is heavier), more stability and all the gear you need to have a perfect control of the sails. I would be bored in the Moody with its simplistic sail shape controls. I like the Saare a lot more than the HR 415 that is a lot more expensive.

Saare 41 AC

MOVIE:

Estnische Baukunst: Saare 41 AC - Yacht TV - Segel Videos von Europas größtem Yacht Magazin

But if I really had the money to buy a Xc 42 I guess that I would buy a Swedestar 415 instead. It has a huge stability and it is much more fun to sail than the Xc42 and comes also with a perfect cruising interior. I would only ask for that transom to be modified, not the hull that I like very much, but the way it is closed. I like it more open. That would not be difficult I am sure.

The Swedestar 415 has everything I like in a sailboat: Fast, comfortable, great upwind, huge stability (including reserve stability) a great cruising interior and of course, it is beautiful in a classic kind of way, one that will grow old with grace. My kind of old men's boat

Again, I am not saying that this is the logic choice to everybody. In fact it is not and it is not a question of money but a question of priorities. Money apart: If one dreams to sail to remote places this is not the indicated boat; If someone dreams to cruise and win races at top level, this is not the best boat either; If someone dreams to solo sail on the trade winds at planning speeds, this is not the right boat in fact this is not the right boat for most sailors just for some among them me and even in what regards me I am pretty sure that it would not be my ideal boat if I had 35 (I would want something more explosive and fast). T can see it as a boat for getting old with style and without being bored sailing slowly.

But I an not the only one that likes that boat. Just look at what the different test sailors said about it:

http://www.swedestar.se/Userfiles/Bi...p-jan-2013.jpg

Swedestar Yachts from Sweden by Lidköpings Båtsnickeri, for cruising, family and racing - Modell 415

MOVIE:

http://tv.yacht.de/video/Schwedens-n...312739c81dd8cf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook