SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jerry can & fender covers material?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Jerry can & fender covers material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia View Post
Jon - same question, who has the Stamoid? Easier sewing is the way to go!
Sailrite carries it, for one... it's not all that 'exotic', though it is a bit more expensive than Sunbrella...

One word of caution, I'd recommend anyone considering using it obtain a swatch of the material, or otherwise inspect some, before ordering it... It is a vinyl, much different from Sunbrella, and has a sort of shiny look that some folks might equate with "chintzy" in some applications... I happen to like the look, and one certainly sees it on many high-end yachts today, but some may still prefer the more canvas-like look of Sunbrella...

I'd suggest going with the double-sided heavier weight of Stamoid, becaust the fabric is waterproof and doesn't really 'breathe', I've seen mildew develop on the underside of the lighter fabric (although that was many years ago when the product was first introduced, and I think that's no longer an issue, anyway)

Stamoid isn't also offered in nearly as wide array of colors as Sunbrella, so that could be an issue for those set on a particular hue...

Finally, it does take a bit of getting used to sewing it, primarily because it's so 'slippery'... I think the use of basting tape is a must, to keep a fold or different pieces sliding on each other... Once you get the hang of it, however (something that will come very quickly, no big deal) I think most anyone will find it far easier to work with than Sunbrella...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook