SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road
Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

After a false start, I closed a deal on an Endeavour 33 (4'6" draft). Boats in good condition with only 500 hrs on the Yanmar 27hp, sails are good, and rigging etc is same, and comes with autopilot. Boat is in Annapolis, I am in South Florida.

So I have two options a) sail it b) ship it. Cost to ship will be about $3.5k based on quotes. I would rather sail her down of course...that's want boats are for.

So after a period of shakedown and fixing some minor issues eg. bilge breaker switch, that came up in Survey that ill do in April and May. I am looking to bring down to FL, late May/early June.

I have read numerous posts on the route that would be best. Now I should say, I don't want a long extended trip, as family not coming. So 2 weeks would be ideal, I could stretch to 3 weeks if had too.

The route people seem to take in these circumstances is:
Route. Via ICW & Outside (Beaufort/Morehead, NC)
140 nm, Annapolis, MD to Norfolk, VA
ICW 623 nm, Norfolk, VA to Beaufort/Morehead City, NC
497 Beaufort/Morehead City, NC to Stuart, FL

So around 1270 nm.

If it was all ICW, then at an avg of 4 knots, so that's just over 300 hrs. If I do 10hrs a day, that's 30 days. Sound right?

I believe by taking the outside route at Beaufort I can trim the trip down but I have seen varying estimates. Some around 13-15 days.

So questions to the experienced folk who have done this route.

1. Is the ICW route from Norfolk to Beaufort, then take outside is this the best option for the boat with a intermediate experienced crew (my sailing is 15 years old from my NZ sailing time). Ill get experience on the boat inside and outside befiore leaving.

2. How close are my estimates on duration

3. I am trying to work the budget. It looks like I would burn around 170 gallons of diesel, so thats about $700 in fuel. I would need to allow for marina stops say 30 stays on ICW trip at $40/night...and I assume less say 10 stays on ICW/Outside Run at same rate. On top of this is the usual food, etc, but ignore that. So need to set aside $1100 to $2000k, plus food.

4. Biggest issue will be to get another person to crew, but there are some options to recruit. I am assuming I can get a free person, just pay meals.

Anyway...any input from you knowledgeable folk would be appreciated, as trying to plan ahead of time. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook