SailNet Community - View Single Post - Worst Gel-Coat Job ever
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-03-2013 Thread Starter
davidpm

Worst Gel-Coat Job ever

I have never done any gel-coat repairs other that scratches and wanted a low stress way to check it out.
Someone abandoned a small fiberglass dinghy at my house that I've been using for a tender for a boat I keep on a mooring.
It is really scratched up and pretty rough.
During a recent storm the side got hit pretty hard and the integrity of a one foot section was compromised.
It was pretty easy to take the angle grinder and grind out the bad glass and epoxy in some cloth and fair it up.
I figured this was a good time to try some gel-coat repair as the end result didn't matter much.
First thing I learned is that the color is very hard to match. I didn't even try as you can tell by the pictures. It would have cost a fortune to get a full set of colors.
These is all kind of warnings about putting gel-coat over west system epoxy but the west folks seem to think it is OK.
The gel-coat mixes easy and paints on very easy. It was thinner than I expected.
But sanding, forget it. It is super hard to sand.
I tried to sand it dry. Does not work dry at all.
I started with 320,400,600,800,1000 wet dry paper
As you can see I wasn't very fussy. Just wanted to know what it would be like If I had to do a job that mattered.
I'm thinking it would take a very long time to get even mediocre well sanded surface.
At least I know now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4030005.JPG (90.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg P4030006.JPG (59.3 KB, 159 views)

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome