SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 04-03-2013
Call me Ishmael
Re: Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

Originally Posted by KiwiSails View Post
The route people seem to take in these circumstances is:
Route. Via ICW & Outside (Beaufort/Morehead, NC)
140 nm, Annapolis, MD to Norfolk, VA
ICW 623 nm, Norfolk, VA to Beaufort/Morehead City, NC
497 Beaufort/Morehead City, NC to Stuart, FL

So around 1270 nm.

Anyway...any input from you knowledgeable folk would be appreciated, as trying to plan ahead of time. Thanks.
Easiest input = you mileage is wrong.

140 from Annapolis to Norfolk is about right.

Norfolk to Beaufort NC is more like 200 miles (Norfolk is Mile 0 on the ICW - Beaufort Mile 202)

Beaufort to Stuart is closer to 785 miles. Stuart is Mile 987 (you do the math . . .)

I disagree with Gary about jumping out at Norfolk.

Your opportunities to go outside are between Beaufort NC and Stuart. You can run overnight from Annapolis to Norfolk (20hours) but with a new boat and volunteer crew, you'll spend 4-5 days to get from Norfolk to Oriental. From there, you have a series of 12-36 hour coastal jumps that you can manage and extend if the weather allows.

I don't know about your details, but 40 miles a day is a reasonable average on the ICW. Not easy but doable. The location of anchorages and currents / tides play in here and there, but I don't think you are being unreasonable to figure 40 mi a day at this time of year. If you can work in a few offshore runs heading south from Beaufort, you can cut out huge chunks of time (i.e., Beaufort, Little River, Charleston, St Augustine).

Have fun

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome