SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Easiest input = you mileage is wrong.

140 from Annapolis to Norfolk is about right.

Norfolk to Beaufort NC is more like 200 miles (Norfolk is Mile 0 on the ICW - Beaufort Mile 202)

Beaufort to Stuart is closer to 785 miles. Stuart is Mile 987 (you do the math . . .)

I disagree with Gary about jumping out at Norfolk.

Your opportunities to go outside are between Beaufort NC and Stuart. You can run overnight from Annapolis to Norfolk (20hours) but with a new boat and volunteer crew, you'll spend 4-5 days to get from Norfolk to Oriental. From there, you have a series of 12-36 hour coastal jumps that you can manage and extend if the weather allows.

I don't know about your details, but 40 miles a day is a reasonable average on the ICW. Not easy but doable. The location of anchorages and currents / tides play in here and there, but I don't think you are being unreasonable to figure 40 mi a day at this time of year. If you can work in a few offshore runs heading south from Beaufort, you can cut out huge chunks of time (i.e., Beaufort, Little River, Charleston, St Augustine).

Have fun

-M
Congrats on the new boat,

I agree with blowingstink. Hatteras can be done, but you should only go with a good window. Without experience i personally wouldnt choose this. Going outside from Beaufort down is a series of well planned jumps with good ocean sailing and reasonable inlets.

I have done it both ways. Don't not get held to a schedule. That way if he weathers not good just sit and read. If t appears you will et socked in on the ocean for a few days you can always make progress down the ICW.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook