SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2QM20 stiff transmission shifting
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
2QM20 stiff transmission shifting

Per the title, I have a 2QM20 with presumably the regular Kanzaki-Hurth transmission. I have the run-of-the-mill Edson pedestal with separate throttle and transmission controls. From the cockpit, shifting is kind of stiff or sticky. While it doesn't feel like you are overly forcing it, or that you're going to break anything, it is a bit of an effort to shift between gears, and settling in neutral takes a bit of finessing. Of course it's been months, but I seem to remember a subtle feeling of metal sliding over metal kind of friction, but what it feels like is kind of hard to call up in my imagination, let alone describe.

Any hints as to where I might start looking? I guess the stickiness could be as easy as the shifter in the pedestal, but I am more thinking somewhere in the mystery transmission box.

I suppose the first move is to climb into that tiny engine compartment and unhook the trans cable and try it both from the pedestal and from the shifter arm to locate the issues.

Look! I am answering my own question. It's just like when I ask my wife where my socks are.