SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Is Sailing an Elitist Sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
As soon as you tack the word "sport" to it, it is. Sailing was my solution for an afforadable, rent free, long haul travel, life style. It was really the only way I could afford to live in my 20's. Calling it a sport indicates that it is an extracaricular activity done in the time of ones leisure. For me it has been a way of life, calling it a sport sums up someones attitude towards sailing.
Sport is a sport and that is about that we are talking about, not cruising or living in a boat as a life style.

Why expensive? You don't need to have a boat you can race in a sailing club with the boats owned by the sailing community. Most, regarding this discussion will be thinking in racing big boats but you can have as much fun racing a dingy, a kite surf or a windsurf board. That is all sailing and if you compete or take it in a sportive way, it is a sport and a demanding one.

If you are really good at club sailing you will make it to the major league championships and will find sponsors that will pay your sport sailing passion. If you are really good and if that is what you want, you will become a professional and will be paid to make the sport you like as a life style. If you become real good among the professionals there will be sponsors and teams that will be interested in paying you for racing big boats and if you are the cream of the cream they will pay you for skippering big boats, or race alone in them.

Why is this expensive?

It seems to me that you don't like sports, particularly sailing (as a sport) but that is another story

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-04-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook